Sketti squash with meatballs and sauce will forever be one of my go-to healthy m…
Sketti squash with meatballs and sauce will forever be one of my go-to healthy meals. This time, I made turkey meatballs with seasonings, spinach and onion (bound with an egg and a sprinkle of almond meal) with roasted garlic sauce and a drizzle of leftover homemade pesto. And a bit of freshly grated Parmesan, of course. I tried something new this time so I wanted to share a few tips I’ve encountered along the way.
1. Brown your meatballs well, but don’t worry about cooking them through at first. The air fryer actually worked really well for browning these turkey meatballs.
2. After pouring your sauce out of the jar, add a bit of red wine to it, seal the lid, and shake well to get out every last bit of your sauce and add an extra splash of flavor.
3. Finish the meatballs in the sauce by simmering for 30+ minutes. This cooks them through and keeps them juicy! I usually let them simmer while waiting for the squash to bake.
4. Poke a few slits in your spaghetti squash and microwave for 2 minutes to make it easier to cut in half!
5. Put about 1/4 inch of water on the bottom of the baking pan and place your squash face down over the water when baking. This keeps it from drying out.